The 2021 MLB offseason is upon us, but at what cost? The collective bargaining agreement, known as the CBA, ended December 1 at 11:59 pm. This means that the relationship between the players, owners, and the league essentially expired, almost inevitable meaning that a lockout will be ensuing and all action in Major League Baseball will freeze until a new CBA is agreed upon. This will be the first lockout since 1994-95, when 938 games and one whole postseason were canceled. The only actions that can be made during the lockout are minor league signings, meaning players can sign only minor league contracts until a new CBA is agreed upon.
Because of the ensuing lockout, major free agent signings have been made early in the offseason unlike ever before. There have been many star player signings before the month of December, and here they are:
- The first major move was the Astros resigning Justin Verlander on a 1-year, $25 million contract.
- Next, the Angels signed Noah Syndergaard to a 1 year, $21 million contract.
- Jose Berrios signed an extension with the Toronto Blue Jays for 7 years, $131 million.
- Former Red Sock Eduardo Rodriguez signed a 5 year, $77 million contract with the Detroit Tigers.
- Steven Matz signed with the Cardinals on a 4 year, $44 million contract.
- The Mets made three major signings in one day, signing Starling Marte (4 years, $78 million), Mark Canha (2 years, $26.5 million), and Eduardo Escobar (2 years, $20 million).
- Kevin Gausman came off a career season and cashed out, signing with the Blue Jays on a 5 year, $110 million contract.
- Marcus Semien is also coming off a career season, where he bet on himself and it paid off, as he got a massive 7 year, $175 million contract with the Texas Rangers. The Rangers found another star, signing Corey Seager to a 10 year, $325 million contract.
- Max Scherzer signed the largest contract in terms of AAV in league history, going to the Mets on a 3 year, $130 million contract.
- Javy Baez is going to Detroit, on a 6 year, $140 million contract.
- Finally, Robbie Ray signed a 5 year, $115 million contract with the Mariners.
Major free agents that have yet to be signed include Kris Bryant, Carlos Correa, Kyle Schwarber, Marcus Stroman, Nick Castellanos, Freddie Freeman, Carlos Rodon, Anthony Rizzo, Trevor Story and many more that will be signed once a new CBA is agreed to.